I am in my seventh year as a NELFT governor representing Barking and Dagenham. I am a volunteer and I am attending various health meetings in the borough, which keep me up to date and allow me to have my voice heard on strategies and community issues. NELFT is very well led and has a huge footprint for service provision and total commitment and dedication by all its staff, I am honoured to do this role. I like networking and sharing information and have been doing this for the past 18 years. This includes:
- I am a Trustee of Carers of Barking and Dagenham
- A Director of Whole Body Therapy, a social enterprise that provides massage and falls prevention courses
- A member of the patient and engagement forum for Barking and Dagenham. This also has joint meetings with neighbouring boroughs and their patient and engagement forums.
- I attend the Local Authority Health and Wellbeing Board as a member of the public to hear local strategies and issues and I am able to ask questions.
- I attend the Joint Commissioning Committee and ask questions as a member of the public. This is a much bigger scale and looks at transformation. It works with 7 CCGs.
- I also get invited to various meetings as a consequence.
I have had anxiety and depression for many years and volunteering to be a governor helps my wellbeing and helps me feel useful. I am passionate about health and wellbeing. I attend the Dyslexia and other Specific Learning Difficulties forum at NELFT and attended the calibre programme. NELFT has always been very supportive of my dyslexia. This has helped me see that one day I can return back to work.