World Suicide Prevention Day is observed on September 10th each year to provide the opportunity for people and organisations across the globe to raise awareness of suicide and suicide prevention.
NELFT is a proud member of the Zero Suicide Alliance, a collaboration of NHS trusts, charities, businesses and individuals who are all committed to suicide prevention in the UK and beyond.
Suicide is preventable. Taking a minute to reach out to someone in your community – a family member, friend, colleague or even a stranger – could change the course of another’s life. Watch the International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP) film here.
The Zero Suicide Alliance (ZSA) has developed a free, online suicide prevention course by using expertise from clinicians and those with personal experience to offer advice and provide real life scenarios to illustrate how best to approach a difficult conversation with someone who is struggling. Take the training here.
South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation event
Today at 3pm, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust is hosting a FREE online World Suicide Prevention Conference and Service of Remembrance. The event is in collaboration with National Confidential Inquiry into Suicide and Safety in Mental Health (NCISH), NHS England & Improvement (London) colleagues and the Healthy London Partnership. Join here: Click here to join the broadcast at 3pm.
Our mental health services
If you live in Barking and Dagenham, Havering, Redbridge, Waltham Forest, Essex, Kent & Medway, you can call Mental Health Direct for mental health help and advice anytime of the day or night.
Mental Health Direct - 0300 555 1000
Where to get support
- If you are worried your mental health is deteriorating you should see your GP as soon as you can.
- If you need to speak to someone straight away, you can call The Samaritans 24 hours a day, on 116 123.
- If your life is in danger, call 999.
More resources and support
- Zero Suicide Alliance – Save a life, take the free suicide prevention training – www.zerosuicidealliance.com
- The National Suicide Prevention Alliance (NSPA) - https://www.nspa.org.uk/
- Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) is a movement aiming to reduce suicide in males under the age of 45 and have targeted resources for men – www.thecalmzone.net
- Mental health helplines – www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/mental-health-helplines
- It Takes Balls to Talk is a campaign which uses sporting themes to encourage men to open up about how they are feeling – www.ittakesballstotalk.com
- Good thinking, provides online mental wellbeing support – www.good-thinking.uk
- Mental Health First aid training could be introduced in your workplace – www.mhfaengland.org
- Papyrus is a national charity dedicated to preventing suicide in young people – www.papyrus-uk.org
- Improving Access to Psychological Therapies services (IAPT) to help to overcome their depression and anxiety, and better manage their mental health – https://www.talkingtherapies.nelft.nhs.uk/