Havering Professionals

What is a...

...Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist?

A child and adolescent psychiatrist is a medically qualified doctor who specialises in understanding and working with mental health difficulties children and young people experience. A large part of their work involves identifying what the difficulties are, understanding what may have caused them to develop, and giving advice about what may help. Psychiatrists are also able to recommend and prescribe medication.

...Clinical Psychologist?

Psychologists are trained to understand behaviour, relationships and emotions and assess these using psychometric tests if they feel this would be useful. Psychologists are able to offer a range of therapies for difficulties such as phobias, eating disorders, depression, anxieties and relationship difficulties. They can also offer parenting advice and family therapy. Unlike psychiatrists who are medically qualified, psychologists cannot prescribe drugs.

...Clinical Nurse Specialist?

A clinical nurse specialist in CAMHS is a senior nurse (RGN or RMM qualified) who has specialised in the area of child/young person/family psychiatry. They have been trained in identifying any signs which may be connected with mental health difficulties. They are able to offer a wide range of therapies/ interventions to families whose child(ren) are experiencing emotional or behavioural difficulties. Some may further specialise in particular therapies such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), or have particular interests such as childhood bereavement, eating disorders or children who are ‘looked after’.

...Family Therapist?

Family therapists help family members find constructive ways to help each other. They work in ways that acknowledge the contexts of people's families and other relationships, sharing and respecting individuals' different perspectives, beliefs, views and stories, and exploring possible ways forward. Please download the Association for Family Therapy and Systemic Practice (AFT)'s 'What is family therapy' leaflet for more information.

...Primary Mental Health Worker?

Primary Mental health Workers may come from a variety of backgrounds e.g. social work, nursing, counselling. They work with children and young people who are experiencing emotional, behavioural or mental health difficulties. The idea being that these workers will work with children and young people at the early stages of their difficulties. A large part of their work is doing consultation with professionals who are already working with a child e.g. a teacher.

...STAR worker?

A STAR (Support, Time and Resilience) worker may come from a variety of backgrounds, part of their role include working within schools to promote emotional health and wellbeing.

...Child & Adolescent Psychotherapist?

Child and Adolescent Psychotherapists spend a large part of their training understanding infant behaviour and early relationships, and recognising the impact of early experiences on later life and relationships. They work mainly with children and teenagers in 1:1 therapy, and see parents/ carers to support the individual therapy the young person is having. Psychotherapists usually provide once-weekly, long-term work with young people, and in addition, liaise with schools, do detailed assessments, case reviews and some joint work with social services. In therapy, the psychotherapist aims to provide an environment in which the child or young person can play and enquire, and through the therapist-young person relationship, the young person can begin to make sense of their experiences. 

...Specialist CAMHS Worker?

Specialist CAMHS Workers are trained to work with young people and their families who are experiencing relationship or emotional difficulties. Specialist CAMHS Workers can undertake individual work with young people using a range of therapies, and they also work jointly with their colleagues in CAMHS and social services field work teams in order to provide support and advice.

Need help and support?

Visit our 'Find Help' section to find relevant services and resources for you here