The admission avoidance team works jointly with community health services, primary care, the acute trust and other agencies (including social services and ambulance services) to reduce emergency admissions to acute hospitals.
We aim to:
- avoid unplanned admissions into acute hospitals by working with both NELFT services and primary care
- work collaboratively with other agencies, for example, social services, to ensure the wider needs of patients are catered for
- work collaboratively with acute trusts to agree and implement effective pathways from the minor injuries unit (MIU) and A&E department into the community.
- work in collaboration with our host organisation Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (BTUH) to ensure the protection of vulnerable adults
- work with existing end of life pathways to provide a seamless service for patients in transition from secondary to primary care
- contribute to the development and review of existing pathways, ensuring they are effective, appropriate and meet the needs of patients.
Contact our service in Brentwood and Basildon
Accident and Emergency Department
Basildon SS16 5NL
Tel: Basildon Hospital switchboard on 0845 155 3111 and ask for admission avoidance on bleep 6654 01277 695038 (BB) 01375 364413 (T)
Opening times: 11am - 7pm, Monday to Sunday (excluding bank holidays)
Suitable patients are identified following attendance at BTUH A&E department or acute medical unit.