End of life service
Our end of life care team offers support, information, signposting, education and learning/role modelling opportunities for health and social care providers.
This service acts as a resource to support the generic workforce in the provision of care at end of life. This includes supporting and promoting the advance care planning process for people approaching end of life and advocates the use of the National End of Life Care Tools as recommended in the End of Life Care Strategy DH 2008.
We facilitate this in a variety of ways:
- facilitating conversations to support advance care planning – PPC, DNACPR
- providing a discharge facilitation pathway between secondary and primary care.
- providing education and support for health and social care staff
- supporting and maintaining the coordinated care register
- acting as the mechanism to support a change in practice in relation to end of life care e.g. initial facilitation of GSF meeting and providing education and support around the advance care planning including DNACPR process
We actively encourage and support the generic workforce to provide high quality care at the end of life by providing an expert resource for health and social care professionals and will work alongside as requested to build confidence and competence. We work closely with other services in order to encourage conversations in relation to end of life care and advance care planning. Professionals may contact us if they need advice or support regarding end of life care issues. We can, on request, visit people to discuss end of life care if the attending staff do not feel confident or competent to discuss these issues.
Contact our service in Basildon, Brentwood and Thurrock
End of life care team
Thurrock Community Hospital
Tel: 01375 364435
Opening times: 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday
Referrals will be accepted by telephone call. Please refer to the For clinicians page for more information.