Access and assessment and brief intervention
The access and assessment service is for adults aged 18 and over needing community mental health services in the London borough of Waltham Forest. We provide an initial mental health assessment.
Once assessed we may:
- refer or signpost to other mental health services or organisations
- signpost to other services (e.g. social services)
- provide brief intervention by the team for up to six months.
If needed, we can offer:
- full assessment of mental health and social care needs
- access to a psychiatrist talking therapies and other psychological help
- advice and information
- crisis intervention
- psychiatric medication review
- if appropriate self-guided support
- support with social problems
- recovery and wellbeing approaches.
We also provide a single telephone number for anyone enquiring about mental health services in Waltham Forest, urgent mental health assessment where needed and management of referrals to other specialist mental health services.
Our team is made up of psychiatrists, community mental health nurses, mental health social workers, support time and recovery workers and occupational therapists.
Contact our service in Waltham Forest
Access assessment and brief intervention team
The Jane Atkinson Health and Wellbeing Centre (Thorpe Coombe Hospital site)
714 Forest Road
Tel: 0300 300 1570 - Opt 4
Fax: 0300 300 1924
Opening times: 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday
Referrals will be accepted from GPs or other health professional. Self referrals or from family, carers or friends and via walk-in centres.