School Health Team
The school health team are part of the 0-19 integrated services who lead and co ordinate the delivery of the Healthy Child Programme: A planned series of public health interventions for children and families from 0 to 19.
School nursing team cover the four localities in Waltham forest: Central, North South East and South west. Each school has an allocated school nursing team to liaise directly with the school to ensure all health needs are met.
The school health team consists of:
- School Nurse: A registered nurse with further specialist qualification in public health at degree or master’s level
- EOTAS School Nurse: (Educated Other than at School) A registered nurse with further specialist qualification in public health at degree or master’s level who support children that are not in mainstream educational settings this includes home schooling and pupil referral settings
- Community Staff Nurse: A registered nurse with additional experience in public health, child health and development
- Community Nursery Nurse: Qualified in child development with additional experience in public health, child health and development
- Clinical Support Worker: Experienced in working with children and young people in schools/clinics and in the community
- Single Point of Access (SPA): Duty school nurse
The School Health Team in Waltham Forest offers:
- Weekly Drop-in sessions at secondary schools/colleges for young people
- Monthly drop-In sessions at primary schools for children, parents, and carers
- National Child Measurement programme (Reception & year 6),
- School entry screening including vison and hearing
- Year 6 health review including hearing
- Supporting healthy lifestyles for children and families
- Supporting complex, medical and additional health needs in school
- Health promotional sessions
- Safeguarding support and advice
- signposting and referrals to other services
If you would like to speak to a school nurse, please call our Single Point of Access Telephone number: 0300 300 1970.
Please direct all other enquiries/queries to our Single Point of Access email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Referrals are accepted from Parent/Carers, GP’s, Allied professionals, Education, and Social care: Referral form.
Useful information / links
The school immunisations programme is delivered by Vaccination UK dedicated Immunisations Team.
Infectious Illnesses- https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/baby/health/infectious-illnesses-in-children/
Children and young people's mental health services https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/nhs-voluntary-charity-services/nhs-services/children-young-people-mental-health-services-cypmhs/
Young Minds- https://www.youngminds.org.uk/
Support for parents- https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-children-safe/support-for-parents/