School nursing - Integrated universal and early intervention children’s services
A school nurse is a trained nurse with an additional specialist qualification in community health and health promotion for families with children and young people aged 5 to 19 years. School nurses lead a team of nurses, nursery nurses, clinical assistants and administrators whose skills complement those of the school nurse.
School nurses work in partnership with children and young people from 5-19 years old, and their families to ensure that the young person’s health needs are met and supported within their school and in their community. The team provides a public health service which focuses on promoting mental, physical and emotional and social wellbeing of all school age children working in partnership with other professionals and agencies such as schools.
The school nurse is able to offer support and advice on the following:
- healthy living and lifestyles
- developmental and health screening to ensure your child is meeting their full potential
- screening for growth, vision and hearing
- annual national child measurement programme
- care plans and training for school staff where a child has identified medical needs
- safeguarding children
- healthy relationships
- nurse-led and doctor-led community clinics
- signposting and referral to other services
- personal, social and health education (PSHE) and sex and relationship education within the school setting
- drop-in sessions at school for children, young people, their parents and carers
Contact our service in Waltham Forest
If you are unsure where your local school nurse is based please contact your nearest base listed below and they will be able to direct you to the right person.
North Neighbourhood School Nursing Team (Chingford)
Chingford Health Centre
109 York Road,
Central Neighbourhood School Nursing Team (Comely Bank)
Comely Bank Clinic
46 Ravenswood Road,
South West Neighbourhood School Nursing Team (Leyton Green)
Leyton Green Health Centre
Leyton Green Road,
South East Neighbourhood School Nursing Team (Langthorne)
Langthorne Health Centre
13 Langthorne Road,
Referrals are accepted from parents/guardians and professionals in healthcare, education and social care. Please refer to the For clinicians page for more information.