At present, the Patients Know Best app is being trialled specifically with our Redbridge Early Intervention in Psychosis Service.
Patients Know Best
What is Patients Know Best?
Patients Know Best (PKB) gives you secure access to your health record via an online portal.
Once you are signed up, you’ll be able to see your hospital appointment information. In the future, you will see more of your health record such as test results, scan reports and care plans.
All your data is stored securely. You can opt-out at any time and contact us if you have any questions about using the service.
How do I sign up?
- Patients can sign up here and click on 'login using NHS login'.
- If you don't have an NHS login, you will be prompted to create one via the NHS website.
- Once you are logged in, the Patients Know Best registration page will appear and you will be promoted to create a password.
- After you have completed the form and registered, you can access the portal using the same Patient's Know Best web link or through the NHS App.
Patients Know Best will allow you to:
- Have better choice and control of your healthcare
- Share your record: Share your record with your GP, hospital consultant, at-home care provider, pharmacist, paramedic, carer or next of kin. You can control what they see with privacy and consent settings.
- See your record anytime: See all your appointments together in one place and access it wherever you go, at home or abroad.
- Add your data: Add important information about your past medical history or any old clinical documentation so it’s there in one place, when you need it.
- Track your health: Keep a journal, monitor your symptoms and add measurements. Then if something isn’t quite right, you know when to contact your healthcare team.
If you have any questions about using Patients Know Best and your data, you can email: PKBenquiries@nelft.nhs.uk.
Will this affect my care?
No, this will not affect the care you already receive from us. Instead, it’s designed to improve your care and experience, help you to be more involved in decisions, get better explanations from us, and give you the tools to manage your care safely at home.
Does this mean I won't receive any letters or texts from my hospital?
No, you will still get communications from us in the normal way. This is just another way to check your hospital appointments and view to your health record.
Is the system secure?
Patients Know Best is hosted within the NHS network, so it’s just as secure as the information we hold about you. We chose this system because it meets the stringent NHS requirements for health record systems and is fully compliant with the Data Protection Legislation 2018. All personal and health information is encrypted (or coded), with PKB only having access to your NHS number. This means only you and the people you choose can access your health information.
Can I have access to my child's record?
Parents or carers must have their own Patients Know Best account before they can be given permission to access their child's (under 16 years of age) record. Once registered, please contact us so that you can be verified and added to the child's record.
If you have not yet registered, follow the links above to do so using your NHS login.
Can I ask someone else to register on my behalf?
Yes you can ask someone else to register on your behalf, with your consent. However, they should not use their own email account to do this. If you want the family member or carer to have access to your record they can be added in the “sharing” section. This will allow them to set up their own account and allow you to control the level of access they have to your record.
What if I don't have an NHS login?
If you do not have an existing NHS login, don’t worry. You will be prompted to create one after entering your email from the NHS login sign in page.
If you do not have the NHS App, you can download it here.
What does the app look like?
Here's an example of what you'll see after you've registered:
Who do I contact for technical problems?
For any technical web issues, please contact the Patients Know Best team at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is not linked to NELFT, so please do not share any personal or clinical information in this email.
For any other issues or questions about your data, you can contact our own team at PKBenquiries@nelft.nhs.uk.