Whipps Cross Hospital Development Project
A new hospital for Whipps Cross
Barts Health NHS Trust are building a new net-zero carbon hospital at Whipps Cross as part of the government’s new hospital building programme.
The vision is to create ‘a hospital in a garden and a garden in a hospital’, reconnecting the hospital with its Epping Forest setting.
The new hospital will have all the same core NHS hospital services - A&E, maternity, operating theatres, intensive care, imaging, inpatients, and outpatients. There will be more clinical space, single rooms, and care provided on the same day.
The new hospital will provide a better experience for patients and staff, and will be able to adapt to changing healthcare needs in the future through its flexible design
The wider Whipps Cross site will also be transformed through the construction of up to 1,500 new homes and the creation of 58,500sqm of new green space and parks.
Find out more about your new hospital in this short video:
The current timeline for the project is:
- Phase two enabling works and construction of a new multi-storey car park: Autumn 2023
- Construction starts on the new hospital: early 2025
- Your new opens: 2028/29
Transforming services across the Whipps Cross catchment area
At the same time as building a new Whipps Cross Hospital, local health and care partners are working together to transform and better integrate services to improve the health of local people.
Overseen by an Integrated Delivery Framework, partners are working on programmes that will:
- keep people healthy to avoid ‘unplanned’ hospital attendance
- when people need care and treatment, minimise the need for hospital admission
- If someone is admitted to hospital provide the best possible care and overall experience, and work with partners to minimise unnecessary time spent in a hospital bed.
More information on the Whipps Cross redevelopment can be found on the Future Whipps page.