Community paediatric continence service
The Community Paediatric Continence Service (Level 2) for children and young people aged 0-18 provides assessment, treatment and support for children and young people with bladder and bowel dysfunction, where first line intervention (Level 1) has not led to a resolution of the problem.
Clinics are held every Tuesday / Wednesday / Thursday at:
Specialist Community Health Services for Children and Young People
Clinic telephone number: 03003001618
Paediatric specialist continence nurse telephone number: 07718272374.
The aim of this service is to promote continence for all children and young people in order to try and reduce unnecessary hospital admissions and tertiary referrals.
The service provides support for children and young people who experience daytime wetting, night time wetting and constipation either to achieve complete continence, or to manage their continence condition discreetly and effectively if full control is not clinically possible. This includes children with learning and/or physical difficulties.
The service offers;
- Basic advice to promote healthy bladders and bowels to reduce the risk of issues becoming chronic such as constipation.
- Provide initial advice on nocturnal enuresis, constipation and toilet training problems.
- Provide bed alarms on loan for the treatment of nocturnal enuresis.
- The treatment programme may include the prescription of stimulant laxatives or macrogols for constipation/desmopressin for enuresis/anticholinergic medication for overactive bladder syndrome. These will be prescribed by the G.P following recommendation by the community paediatric continence nurse.
- Advice available for Level 1 services in relation to the assessment and ordering of containment products.
Following Level 1 intervention the NELFT SPA Referral Form must be completed and sent to the service as below:
- Email form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Referrals are only accepted from G.P / School Health/Health Visiting) / Community/ Hospital Consultants and any other professionals.
- Referrer must demonstrate that a physical assessment has been completed to rule out any underlying concerns.
- Referrer must demonstrate that there has been Level 1 intervention.
Useful information resource for parents/professionals to use prior to making a referral WWW.eric.org.uk
- The service will offer assessment, treatment and support to children and young people aged 0-19 years with level 2 continence needs (night time wetting/daytime wetting/constipation and soiling). Children between 0-2 years will be considered following discussion with the Specialist Paediatric Continence Nurse.
- Young People aged 19 years and over. (Young people who are due to turn 19 whilst under the Paediatric
Continence Service will be transferred to the Adult Continence Service if the input is still required as per NICE Guidance).
- Children and Young People not living in the BHR CGG areas (with BHR G.P)
- Children and Young People who have not received initial advice, input and review from Tier 1 services (0-19 Universal Services/Health Visiting/School Nursing/G.P).
Contact our service in Barking and Dagenham, Havering and Redbridge
BHR specialist paediatric continence service
The Grove, Specialist Community Health Services for Children and Young People
Opening times: 09:00 to 16:00 Tuesday – Friday
Clinic telephone number: 03003001618
Specialist paediatric continence nurse telephone number: 07718272374.
Email: email@example.com (for referrals only)
Referrals are only accepted from G.P / School Health/Health Visiting) / Community/ Hospital Consultants and any other professionals.
Referrals can be emailed using the single referral form through single point of access (SPA).