Children's diabetes service
Our children’s diabetes nursing team provides support, education and advice to children and young people under 19 years old with diabetes. We also provide education and support to schools, nurseries and other carers of children and young people living with diabetes.
Our service encourages children and young people, along with their parents and carers, to learn effective self management techniques to promote independence.
- Initial education, training and support on diagnosis for the child, young person and family
- Ongoing support for children, young people and their families in line with NICE and Best Practice Tariff recommendations
- School education including staff training and classroom teaching
- An insulin pump service
- 24 hours specialist advice
- Personalised care plans for each patient
- Designated clinics for children with diabetes
- Designated clinics for adolescents with diabetes, including evening clinics
- Support to paediatric wards at Basildon Hospital including the facilitation of study days
- Engage in the East of England Paediatric Diabetes Network.
- Partake in national research programmes.
Contact our service in Basildon, Brentwood and Thurrock
- Clinics and young person's own home
- Community Nurse Led clinics
- Schools and nurseries including secondary school clinics
- Children’s wards and Childrens Out Patients
- Children’s centres
Paediatric diabetes nursing service
Room 43, Mayflower Community Hospital
Blunts Wall Road
Tel: 0300 300 1712 for Basildon, Brentwood, Billericay & Wickford patients
01375 511000 for Thurrock patients.
Fax: 0300 300 1621
Opening times: Monday to Friday, 8am - 6.30pm
Please refer to the For clinicians page.