Our Assistant Psychologists (AP) Forum hosted their first in person professional development event at CEME centre on 7 September 2023.
The AP forum are a group of Assistant Psychologists employed within NELFT who meet online on a monthly basis to come together to share experiences, ideas, communicate as a group of psychological professionals and get access to in-house CPD opportunities. Any Assistant Psychologist working with NELFT is able to join.
The forum felt it was important to have regular opportunities to also meet in person, to further build on existing relationships and build a greater sense of community within our professional group.
The theme of the day was around building connections, supporting effective engagement and enhancing our general therapeutic skills. We had a range of speakers from the psychological professions on topics including professional boundaries, working with difficulty and reflective practice. The format was engaging, inclusive and supported some active and insightful discussions about our role as a professional group and how we can support the direction of travel for the profession in terms of:
- Improving access to marginalised/difficult to engage groups
- Building a greater sense of community
- Engaging with colleagues and service users in a compassionate, inclusive and respectful way.
The event was well attended and facilitated a rich and meaningful dialogue around some of the issues presented. The smooth running of the event and sense of inclusive discussion was a real testament to the steering group who arranged the whole event as well as the quality of contribution our cohort of assistant psychologists make within the organisation.
Thanks must go to the Assistant Psychologist Steering group for organising such a fantastic event: Emily Edwards Little, Sarah Hussain, Precious Ighalo, Ari Bard, Natasha Titley, Harpreet Panesar, Rebecca Palmer
Also to our speakers:
- Dr Judith Friedman (consultant clinical psychologist, Clinical Director for Psychological Professions)
- Dr Rachel Smith (consultant clinical psychologist,
- Dr Kate Butt (consultant clinical psychologist, Psychological Professions Workforce Lead)
- Dr Nifemi Ajala (Clinical Psychologist, EIP)
We are looking forward to hosting similar events in different locations for assistant psychologists around the Trust in the coming months.