Barking & Dagenham, Havering and Redbridge falls clinic
What is the Barking & Dagenham, Havering and Redbridge Falls Service?
We are a multidisciplinary team working across the boroughs of Barking and Dagenham, Havering and Redbridge. The team consists of a Falls Consultant, Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Nurse, Integrated Care Assistants and Administrators.
Whom do we target?
We assess and treat residents who are aged 60 and above and or three or more of the following:
- Slip/trip/fall or near slip/trip/fall in the previous year
- 5 medications or more
- Have balance problems
- Unable to rise from a chair of knee height
What is our aim?
- To prevent onset of trips/slips and falls
- Reduce the number of slips/trips/falls or near miss slips/trips and falls
- Reduce hospital and A&E admissions
- To minimise patient’s fear of falling and build confidence to achieve independence and quality of life
- Educate patients and carers on coping strategies
Who is involved?
Falls Medical Consultant
Provides routine medical reviews and optimises patients’ medication to avoid falls. The consultant also looks for cardiovascular and neurological causes of falls and organises various specialist investigations.
Falls Clinic Nurse
Provides assessment of nutrition, continence, foot health, medication issues and carries out routine medical tests. The nurse also provides health care advice and assists the Falls Medical Consultant in the clinic.
Provides assessment of the person’s strength, balance, gait and mobility and teaches exercises, issues mobility aids as needed and other strategies to decrease the risk of falls or serious injuries.
Provides detailed assessment of the person’s home to identify risk factors relating to falls. The Occupational Therapist will offer advice and suggest home modifications as well as providing equipment to minimise any risks.
Integrated Care Assistants
Provides assistance in the Falls Clinic and to other health professionals including home visits, and ensuring safe use of equipment.
Who can refer?
- General Practitioners
- Community matrons
- A&E staff
- Community therapy teams
- Specialist Nurses
- District Nurses
- Health Visitors
- Allied Health Care Professionals
- Social Services
- Voluntary Organisations
How do you refer?
Please complete a Referral Form (SPA) and forward to the Single Point of Access Team (SPA) at email@example.com.
Alternatively please contact the team on:
- Tel: 0300 555 1201, ext 57383
- BHRFallsservice@nelft.nhs.uk – this email address only accepts enquiries, not referrals.
The trust welcomes feedback on all services. If you have any comments, complaints, compliments or suggestions please let us know by informing any of our managers, or by contacting:
Christopher Martin Road
Tel: 0300 555 1201 ext 66690