Minor injuries unit (MIU) Orsett
The minor injuries unit provides a comprehensive nurse-led service for people who have a range of minor injuries as defined below:-
- Minor head injuries with no loss of consciousness.
- Uncomplicated fractures between shoulder to fingers and knee to toes
- Minor burns and scalds. (All airway/inhalation burns must attend A&E)
- Eye infections, foreign bodies in eyes, abrasions of cornea.
- Retained foreign body such as fishhook.
- Bites and stings (with no associated anaphylaxis).
- Sprains and strains.
- Animal and human bites.
- Foreign bodies, ear, nose & throat
- Chest injury without difficulty in breathing
- Facial injuries.
- Firework injuries
- Mouth injuries
- Neck injuries
- Minor road collisions
- Closure of laceration wounds by suturing, stapling, gluing or steristrip
- Progesterone Only Emergency Contraception (POEC)
Following your attendance at MIU a referral to other services such as your GP surgery can be made for ongoing treatment or support if required.
Please attend A&E if you have a:
- wound with glass/metal/foreign body in child under 7
- wound with glass/metal/foreign body which presents outside x-ray hours (see below for x-ray)
- wound with arterial bleed
- airway/inhalation burns
Please seek emergency treatment by ringing 999 or attending A&E if you have: -
- acute abdominal, chest or back pain
- head injury with loss of consciousness
- major chest injury
- difficulty in breathing
- complicated fractures
- acute psychiatric episode
- diabetic or epileptic emergencies.
Please seek help from your own GP or 111 for Minor illnesses such as:-
- Cough, sore throat.
- Pain for an existing condition
- Dressing changes for existing wounds.
- In growing toenails
The above lists are not exhaustive.
Following clinical assessment, if indicated an x-ray can be carried out on site Monday to Friday until 4.00 pm.
X-rays can be carried out for injuries between the shoulder and fingers and the knee to the toes only.
X-ray at MIU is not available for children under seven years of age due to the complexity of interpreting results.
Address and opening times
Opening times: 10.00am to 7.30pm, Monday to Sunday
Closed: 6.30pm last Thursday of the month. Closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day
Please note that there is limited waiting within the unit and you will be asked to either wait outside or in your vehicle once booking in.
To keep you, other patients, and staff safe we continue to require you to wear a mask when attending MIU.
Tel: 0300 300 1527