Pulmonary rehabilitation service
What is Pulmonary Rehabilitation?
Pulmonary Rehabilitation is a multidisciplinary, evidenced based program of exercise and education for patients with long term respiratory conditions; it is individually tailored to each individual.
It is also recognised by NICE and the NHS as an effective treatment and management option for people with a Long Term Lung Disease.
Pulmonary Rehabilitation consists of both prescribed exercise and education; both aspects holding importance to try and help you independently manage more efficiently including:
- Exercise – these are gentle functional movements that you will be taught; the idea is that we try to make your muscles stronger and more efficient so you are able to do more of the things you want to do and desensitise you to breathlessness.
We are aware that sometimes people have other medical problems or more than one health issue that may limit what they are able to do; the exercises can be adapted to fit you personally.
- Education – Education is key aspect of Pulmonary Rehabilitation. We aim to increase your knowledge of your individual lung condition so you are better equipped to not only understand your lung conditions and the symptoms you may experience but give you the tools and confidence to self-manage your condition.
It is important to mention that Pulmonary Rehabilitation was mentioned in the NHS Long Term Plan, please see link for full details of the document.
For this areas Pulmonary Rehabilitation Service leaflet for patients please go to the bottom of the page.
Who can have Pulmonary Rehabilitation?
Within the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Service we see many different types of respiratory conditions including but not exclusive to:
- Alpha 1
- Interstitial Lung Disease – ILD
Our team consists of
- Assistant Practitioners
- Physiotherapist assistants
We are a small team but are dedicated to delivering a quality service and upholding the NELFT values. We are constantly evolving and innovating to better meet the growing demands on our service.
See other attached documents to the right of this page
NELFT South West Essex Pulmonary Rehabilitation Social Media Pages
The NELFT South West Essex Pulmonary Rehabilitation team have now created a Facebook and Twitter page. These pages will provide relevant and up to date content about the conditions that are treated in pulmonary rehab, as well as important news and information on local services.
To find our pages search:
- South West Essex Pulmonary rehab NELFT or @SouthWestEssexPRS