Waltham Forest Respiratory Service
The community based Respiratory Service is part of the Waltham Forest planned care for adults and thus works closely with the Integrated Care Teams (district nurses, community matrons, ICT Therapists), other NELFT services and our local acute service, Barts Health NHS Trust.
We are a team of Specialist Healthcare Professionals who offer diagnosis, holistic treatment, care and self-management programs for patients with respiratory conditions.
The aim of the service is to improve the health and well-being of patients with respiratory disease. We provide information, advice and support for patients and their carers, giving them the skills and confidence to manage their own respiratory condition and symptoms.
The team is nurse and therapy led.
The team comprises of Specialist Health Care Professionals.
The team is accessible for advice to other health care professionals regarding respiratory conditions. They actively encourage teams to contact them with any queries or if advice is required.
Diagnostic Spirometry Service
Diagnostic test is a breathing test that is conducted to aid with diagnosis and progression of condition. It provides important information how well your lungs are working. It is a non-invasive procedure.
Supported Discharge Service (SDS)
For patients with COPD to enable them to self-manage their condition
The team provide an in-reach service into the acute hospital ensuring ongoing follow up is continued out into the community following discharge and seen until patient is stable to be discharged.
Support is provided for COPD and asthma patients to help manage their conditions, optimisation of medication and ensuring they have the correct diagnosis.
Reviews of difficult to control asthma, preventing frequent GP attendance and A&E through education, support and asthma management plans.
If you have been provided with a nebuliser compressor by NELFT, and you are experiencing a functional problem e.g. becomes faulty requires servicing/needs to be returned and also for yearly servicing or please contact: Baywater – 0800 121 4524 or Email: BHLTD.Nebuliser@nhs.net
If you are experiencing difficulties with how to use the nebulizer that has been provided by NELFT, please contact Single Point of Access on 0300 300 1710
Medication for the nebuliser is prescribed by the GP.
Respiratory Nursing Home Visits
Support to patients with chronic respiratory conditions
The team provides clinical input and advice to patients, regarding their treatment and management, ensuring optimisation of that treatment and improved understanding of their condition. We develop self-management plans with the patient with the aim of reducing the risk of exacerbation and to help to reduce unnecessary hospital admissions and readmissions.
For patients who are reaching the end of their life, we work in liaison with the palliative care team, EPIC team and DNs, ensuring choices, plans and preferred place of care are recorded and completed where appropriate.
If you have been provided with a suction device by NELFT, and you are experiencing a functional problem with this suction e.g. it has become faulty, it requires servicing or you need to return the suction device, please contact:
Medequip UK Ltd.
Woodford Green Branch
Tel: 0208 709 7050
If you are experiencing difficulties with how you should use the suction device or require consumable parts (including Yankeaurs / tubing or filters etc.) please contact Single Point of Access on 0300 300 1710 who can direct you to the appropriate team.
Oxygen assessments for long-term home oxygen and ambulatory oxygen, support for all patients using oxygen within the Waltham Forest borough.
Ambulatory oxygen assessments take place at The Jane Atkinson Health & Wellbeing Centre. These are often completed in liaison with or jointly with the Pulmonary Rehab team.
Long-term oxygen assessments tend to take place in the patient’s home.
Capillary blood gas tests to support sleep apnoea assessments are done at the Jane Atkinson Health & Wellbeing Centre.
All oxygen equipment is supplied and serviced by Air Liquide.
Patients can contact the Air-Liquide helpline for details. There is no cost for this service within the UK
- https://www.airliquidehomecare.co.uk / Tel: 0808 143 9991
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Air Liquide (Homecare) Ltd
Pulmonary Rehabilitation is a multidisciplinary, evidenced based program of exercise and education for people with a long-term lung condition designed to reduce symptoms of breathlessness, PR can:
- improve your muscle strength so you can use the oxygen you breathe more efficiently and become less breathless
- help you cope better with feeling out of breath
- improve your fitness so you feel more confident to do everyday tasks
- help you feel better mentally
- help you understand and manage your condition better.
PR helps you manage your condition and makes you feel better, but it’s not a cure. You’re unlikely to see a change in your lung function, so you may not see a difference in breathing test results. What it can do is help you make the most of the lung function that you have. There’s evidence that it improves your ability to walk further, helps you feel less tired and breathless doing day-to-day activities and reduces your risk of ending up in hospital.
The exercise program is supervised, progressive and will be tailored for you, to allow you to take part and gain the benefits. The education sessions are designed to help you understand your condition and manage your symptoms to improve your quality of life.
It is a group session, twice weekly for approx. 2 hours each session, with a minimum of 12 sessions.
This is an opportunity to network with your peers and learn from others who have similar health situations.
Completing a course of Pulmonary Rehabilitation is a good way to learn how to exercise safely and at the right level for you.
We are aware that sometimes people have other medical problems or more than one health issue that may limit what they are able to do; the exercises can be adapted to fit you personally.
Programs days, times, and current locations currently offered and subject to change.
You will also be invited in prior to starting the class for a pre-assessment to complete a full assessment and ensure you are safe to start exercising.
|Chingford||St Anne’s Church - ‘Main Hall’
200 Larkshall Road
|Tuesday and Thursday afternoons|
|Leytonstone||Cathall / Leytonstone Leisure Centre
|Monday and Wednesday afternoons|
Asthma and Lung UK (Formally the British Lung Foundation and Asthma UK)
- Helpline: 0300 222 5800
Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF)
Free service for people living with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), their family and carers.
Action for Pulmonary Fibrosis
- https://actionpf.orgTel: 01223 785 725
- Email: email@example.com
- For support group enquiries, please get in touch with our Support Group Enquiries email or phone Jo Ruck firstname.lastname@example.org mobile – 07376 321 666
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: 0800 833 099
Our lines are normally open Monday to Friday, 10am to 6pm.
- Call us on: 020 3389 7221 or 0800 014 8821 (Freephone)
Living your life with Bronchiectasis website
Air Pollution Health Advice
- Remind signup : https://www.airtext.info/signup
- For more information visit https://www.airtext.info/health or https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/?question=61
- NHS 111 or 999
Check you inhaler technique
Anxiety and depression
The local IAPT services are also there to listen.
- Phone to refer yourself for Talking Therapies 0300 300 1554 option 4, 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday
Age UK Advice
- Office opening times: Monday to Thursday 9:30am to 4:00pm Friday 9:30am to 2:00pm
- Address: Age UK Waltham Forest, Waltham Forest Resource Hub (North), 58 Hall Lane, Chingford, E4 8EU Phone: 020 8558 5512,
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Citizens Advice – Support with Claiming Benefits
- Adviceline (England): 0800 144 8848
- Personal Independence Payment for under 65 years old - https://www.gov.uk/pip
- Attendance Allowance for over 65 years old - https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance
- Motability Scheme – https://www.motability.co.uk/
- Blue Badge – Helpline 0343 100 1000 https://www.gov.uk/blue-badge-scheme-information-council
- Prescription costs - https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/get-help-with-prescription-costs/
For further advice regarding benefits from CAB, Age UK or the BLF.
- Winter Fuel Payments – Born on or before5 August 1953; www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/how-to-claim
- Warm Home Discount Scheme – Helpline 0345 603 9439
- HEET – London Borough Waltham Forest, free assessment for anyone with a lung condition living in WF, provides insulation, draft proofing and heating work, advice on saving energy, fuel bills and fuel debt Tel: 020 8 520 1900 https://www.theheetproject.org.uk/ or email email@example.com
- Helpline: 0300 303 1555
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Waltham Forest Stop Smoking Service
- If you live or work in Waltham Forest, you can get FREE, confidential advice, information and support to help you stop smoking.
- This service is provided by Queen Mary, University of London and includes:
- A 12-week plan with support from a trained practitioner.
- Weekly Nicotine Replacement Therapy - and Zyban.
- Telephone and/or digital support. Face-to-face help may also be available.
- Assistance is also available in English, Bengali, Urdu, Gujarati and Lithuanian.
- Contact 020 7882 8230 or 0800 169 1943
For other information on smoking cessation you can look up:
- ttps://www.stopsmokinglondon.com/ - Smoking Helpline 0300 123 1044
- https://www.nhs.uk/smokefree/help-and-advice/support - You don't have to quit smoking alone. It's much easier to do it with the right information, advice and support.
- https://quitnow.smokefree.nhs.uk/ - Sign up for 28 days of free quitting advice and tips straight to your inbox to increase your chance of success!
The Lung Club
The Club is run by volunteers who work from home.
- Tel: Ronnie, 0208 989 5546 or Jan, 0208 558 3361
- Email: email@example.com
The Lung Club provides support for people with all lung conditions and their carers. They can also provide emergency equipment e.g. oxygen if required.
- When - Last Tuesday of every month with the exception of December, between 1pm-3:30pm
- Venue - Chandos Centre, Colegrave Road, Stratford, E15 1DZ
- Cost - People attending pay £2 on the day which entitles them to refreshments and a free raffle ticket.
Contact our Respiratory Service in Waltham Forest
Second Floor - Jane Atkinson Health & Wellbeing Centre
714 Forest Road
Tel: 0300 300 1710
Pulmonary Rehabilitation Team
34 Colvin Gardens
Tel: 0300 300 1710
Opening times: Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm (excluding bank holidays)
Please note we are not an emergency service, for emergencies please contact either 999, 111 or rapid response on 0300 300 1710 for further support.