If you are a family member/carer of someone accessing support from the Kent and Medway All-Age Eating Disorder Service, we are here to support you. Below we have provided a list of resources that you might find useful when caring for someone with an eating disorder.
BEAT provide support and information about eating disorders through their helplines, one to one instant chat, social media, and emails. Beat also run moderated online groups and message boards, to allow peer support.
- Their website can be found here. (https://www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/
- Their guide for anyone supporting someone with an eating disorder can be found here.
BEAT’s Solace Programme is a free video-based peer support group hosted over Zoom. The group gives you the opportunity to share how you’re feeling and get support from others who are caring for people with eating disorders. You can book onto this on their website.
Families Empowered and Supporting Treatment of Eating Disorders (F.E.A.S.T):
F.E.A.S.T is an organisation of and for caregivers of loved ones suffering from eating disorders. They provide information and support, including guides, webinars, events, and forums.
- Their website can accessed via https://www.feast-ed.org/.
Eva Musby provides help for parents of children and teens suffering from anorexia and other eating disorders.
- Her book “Anorexia and other eating disorders: how to help your child eat well and be well” provides practical solutions, compassionate communication tools and emotional support for parents of children and teenagers.
- She also provides YouTube videos, bitesize audios, and free help sheets to support you. Eva also runs online workshops.
- Her website can be found here.
Other books and leaflets:
- Skills-based Caring for a Loved One with an eating disorder - by Janet Treasure.
- Survive FBT Skills Manual for Parents Undertaking Family Based Treatment (FBT) for Child and Adolescent Anorexia Nervosa - by Maria Ganci.
- Help Your Teenager Beat An Eating Disorder – by James Locke and Daniel Le Grange
- The SUN Network co-produced some information leaflets, with the help of carers of loved ones with eating disorders and individuals who had lived experience of an eating disorder. Their two free information leaflets can be accessed via this link.
Below we have listed some resources that you may find useful if you are struggling with eating difficulties:
Helplines and Services:
- 0808 801 0677 – Adult helpline
- 0808 801 0711 – Youth helpline
- 0808 801 0811 – Student helpline
- Their website can be accessed via www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk.
- Anorexia and Bulimia Care (ABC)
- Phone 0300 111 213
- Their website can be accessed via anorexiabulimiacare.org.uk.
- Overeaters Anonymous Great Britain – local support groups.
- Their website can be accessed via www.oagb.org.uk.
- ED Matters
- Eating Disorder Recovery Podcast – Janean Anderson
- Recovery Warrior Podcast
- Food Psych
- Brain Over Binge
- Breaking Up with Binge Eating
- Butterfly: Let’s Talk
- Behind the Binge
- The Eating Disorder Recovery Podcast – Tabitha Farrar
- Overcoming Binge Eating 2nd Edition: The proven program to learn why you binge and how you can stop(by Christopher Fairburn)
- Getting Better Bite by Bite: A survival Kit for sufferers of Bulimia Nervosa and Binge Eating Disorders (by Ulrike Schmidt, Janet Treasure, & June Alexander)
- If Not Dieting, Then What? (by Rick Kausmann)
- The DBT Solution for Emotional Eating: A Proven Program to Break the Cycle of Bingeing and Out-of-Control Eating (Debra Safer, Sarah Adler & Phillip Mason)
- The Compassionate Mind Approach to Beating Overeating Using Compassion Focused Therapy (by Ken Goss)
- Overcoming Anorexia Nervosa 2nd Edition: A self-help guide using cognitive behavioural techniques (by Patricia Graham and Christopher Freeman)
- Beating Your Eating Disorder: A Cognitive Behavioural Self-Help Guide for Adult Sufferers and their Carers (by Glen Waller, Victoria Mountford, Rachel Lawson, Emma Gray, Helen Cordery and Hendrik Hinrichsen)