We are still providing all of our services during the COVID 19 pandemic. All appointments are continuing over telephone or video call and we are still accepting all new referrals. You can still phone us as usual between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday on 0300 555 1216. If you need support outside of these times please call the NELFT Mental Health Direct Line which is open 24/7 on 0300 555 1000.
Eating disorder service (EDS)
The eating disorder service at North East London NHS Foundation Trust is a specialist outpatient service for young people and adults. Our service aims to bring hope and confidence to those who have an eating disorder and to enable them to take back control of their life by overcoming their eating disorder.
We offer support to anyone with an eating disorder who is registered with a GP in Barking and Dagenham, Redbridge, Havering or Waltham Forest.
Our main clinic is based in Barking, but you may be seen over video call, as long as your physical health needs are stable. We may also be able to offer treatment closer to your home.
Our service offers specialist care management, assessments and treatments, in line with the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidelines, to adults and children aged 8+ with eating disorders. As well as working with individuals, we also work with families and carers to help them support the person they care for who has an eating disorder.
The eating disorder service works closely with other NELFT services such as the child and adolescent mental health service (CAMHS), adult mental health services and inpatient services. This allows us to support you in a safe and effective way, especially if you have complex mental health difficulties.
What eating disorders do we offer treatment for?
- Anorexia nervosa (AN) – if you restrict how much you eat and drink to keep your weight as low as possible.
- Bulimia nervosa (BN) – if you are in a cycle of binge eating (eating large quantities of food in a short period of time and feeling out of control) and then compensating for this either by making yourself sick, using laxatives, restricting what you eat, or over exercising, to control your weight and/or shape.
- Binge eating disorder (BED) – if you have regular episodes of binge eating during which you eat large quantities of food in a short period of time, feel like you’ve lost control of your eating and experience negative feelings afterwards.
- Other specified feeding or eating disorder (OSFED) – if your symptoms do not exactly fit the diagnostic criteria for anorexia, bulimia or binge eating disorder, however you still have significant problems around eating, weight and shape.
“The road to recovery isn’t easy and it’s long, but the more we live in our behaviours, the longer the road will be.”
Address: The Orchards Health Centre, Gascoigne Road, Barking, IG11 7RS
Phone: 0300 555 1216 (9am – 5pm only)
In an emergency please contact the NELFT crisis line on 0800 995 100 for 24/7 mental health support .
Where to find us
Contacts for CRISIS support
- NELFT Mental Health Direct. Call 0800 995 100 for 24/7 mental health support. https://www.nelft.nhs.uk/services-mental-health-direct
- Shout is a free, confidential text line available 24/7 to support you. Text ‘Shout’ to 85258 https://giveusashout.org/
- The Samaritans is a phone service available for free, 24/7 support from any phone. Call 116 123 www.samaritans.org